Sunday, August 17, 2008

The Olympic Kopi Soh

Congratulations to China on winning Olympic Gold and SILVER! Yes I said Silver as well!

Curse me all you like, I am one of the many Singaporeans who are not exactly proud of that Silver medal. Seriously, why bother calling for foreign talents to compete in your place. Have you forgotten what you wrote in those propaganda books you label as our social studies textbooks? I remember a chapter talking about how Singaporeans learnt that they had to depend on themselves after the British left in WWII, do you? Of course, that is an extreme comparison but I think you know better. Honestly, I would rather a true blue Singaporean, or someone who've at least spent a great deal of time in Singaporean soil, participate and get trashed than let a mercenary claim a medal for us.

And to think that the Singaporean media is trying to make the nationalities of these people seem like it doesn't matter. I'm sorry but it does! Why is it that your voxpop shows people rejoicing for Singapore, and all of a sudden you throw in someone who says "I don't care if they're from China, so long as they're wearing the Singaporean flag on their jerseys. Our ancestors are from China too. Tan Howe Liang (our only silver medalist) was also from Sua Tau (Shantou) what."? Then shortly after that report your journalist gets overcome by the urge to inform the viewers that other countries are hiring foreign sportsmen as well. Look, just because other countries are doing it does not mean that it is the right thing to do.

Come to think of it, while many wonder if they will really sing the National Anthem if we won gold, I prefer to wonder if they even know how the words! Maybe Jiawei has learnt it by now, but I'm pretty sure that's not the case for kopi-soh lookalike Wang Yue Gu and definitely Feng Tianwei, who only joined the Singaporean team this year. (I know Yue Gu's only 28 and it's mean to refer to her matured looks, so shoot me.)

The week has been pretty eventful in China, one of such was the report that the opening ceremony broadcast contained computer generated fireworks and a lip-sync performance. In defence, the committee calls it a necessary point in portraying a perfect image, both vocally and visually. I must say it was quite easy to spot which firework has been computer generated.*cough*footprints*cough* However, I found it disturbing that Lin Miao Ke (lip-synch girl) is the one who's getting a major advertisement deal when all she did was stand there and smile. What about the voice behind it?

Come to think of it, if China justifies their deception with the need for a perfect image, doesn't that justify the actions of people who go online with fake pictures and details of themselves?

Well, I think I should move on to something lighter. I saw on Lianhe Wanbao's headlines stating that a certain female anchor for Channel 5's "Today in Beijing" apparently said the word F*#K on National LIVE Television! How charming... Seriously, why is she even on the show? Shouldn't they know better not to put an inexperienced artiste on such an important show? It's not like the Dancefloor whereby they could cut and cut and cut and cut and cut... Ya'kno?

BAH! I'm just in a Sir Rant-a-lot kind of mood. Laugh along if you may!

Note: Kopi Soh is what Singaporeans refer to as the ladies that work at hawker centers, their jobscope usually revolves around brewing coffee to bringing them to the tables.

No comments: