Wednesday, August 6, 2008

So Long, My Friend...

I just realised that a my neighbour in Thailand, Duri Price, has passed away on the same day that I've reached Singapore. He died from liver failure after two weeks of drinking whiskey non-stop.

He was the first person that I've met when I reached 2nd Home. I remembered trying to sleep by the stairs as I couldn't reach Pink. He came down the stairs and started chatting with me. He told me about how his family passed on one after another, and how he gets nightmares often because of this.

I saw his state of mind go up till weeks before when it started going down once again. From when he came out frequently for chats and such, till the final two weeks when he stayed in his room drinking whiskey.

A big man with a big heart, he would always share his ideas and thoughts about anything and everything while never failing to emphasize one the positives.

Duri, while you had your great share of troubles, and you went at your life's lowest, I hope for you to find peace and resolve in the afterlife. So long...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just heard about Duri this morning and I came across your blog just now. I worked for Duri in Washington, two years ago. He was a great manager, one of the finest I've had the honor of knowing, and a friend as well. My regret is that he left so quickly after our jobs ended, and while we worked together, we were always too busy to really get to know each other. I learned so much working under him. It's a tragedy to see this happen.

Anonymous said...

I lost contact with Duri several years ago. I didn't know he had been in Thailand. Thank you so much for making this post.

Anonymous said...

hopefully one day i can leave like your friend too. comfortably numb.

ブルース様 said...

My greatest regret for Duri is that he had come to Thailand seeking a place where he could settle down, only to ultimately pass on here.

To my knowledge, the US Embassy is currently checking his laptop to look for means to reach his family (his mom is alive and his brother is somewhere is costa if i'm not wrong)

peace be with you.

Anonymous said...

Many of Duri's friends are assisting in the effort to locate the next of kin. I wish I could help in the matter too, but sadly I don't have any information in that area. Also, as the second commenter said, thank you for your posting.

chroi said...

I knew Duri in the early 2000's as he flew flight simulators online with my squad. What a great guy. I remember when he left the states. He felt he had been 'over-teched' and wanted to try doing other things.

Anonymous said...

I knew Duri from his time as a test manager back in 2006. He gave me a chance and hired me when I really didn't deserve it and I ran with it. I had no education, minimal experience, and no clue. Now I sit here looking up information on the internet about my old friend Duri because I swear I read a comment you would have made. I miss my friend and I wish above all else I could have come out to Thailand and talked some sense into you just as you had done for me when we worked together. We still think of you Duri. Sometimes it is just because someone said something that "totally sounds like you" just as happened today, sometimes its because I wish we could have started that offshore testing firm, and sometimes it's because I just wish I could show you how much you helped me get my life together. I will never forget you. I actually didn't even know most of this information that you have posted on here and it hit me a bit hard. I knew he had passed on but I didn't know the circumstances and reading your words I can just see him now. Not a fitting end for Thog. Thank you for putting this up here. I hope more who were helped by Duri find this page. Cheers Duri, just like that one time in Rueben's. I'll see you someday, make sure to have a seat saved. I got a lot to tell you. Later my friend.