Wednesday, February 11, 2009

I am a freethinker

Say what you want, I am a freethinker.
Let me burn in hell, i can be a wandering spirit too! But I don't see why i need to devote myself to one.

A little on my religious background. I was born into a Buddhist family, we'd do the usual stuff like offering incense to the gods and stuff, we'd do it every morning. My late grandmother was initially a medium, but retired upon age. Still, we'd head over to her place during the special occasions to take part in taoist rituals such as the 'crossing of the bridge', where i'd always be the kid holding the basket hmmm...

But ten years ago, our family decided to drop the religion and just believe in what we want to. We all stopped praying to the gods, offering incense only to the ancestors. My dad's rationale behind it was that as a funeral undertaker (dirty job), it's not right to worship the deities and gods (clean). And then there's the slightly more illogical reason that we did so because the praying and stuff wasn't granting us any 4D places and stuff.

Since then, I have somehow grown to understand other religions better. I don't practice their beliefs, but I do try to know them better.

Actually, what is the underlying common factor of these major religions in singapore? Isn't it the fact that it is telling us to be good people? Do good to others, don't hurt them or else...

You get what I mean. I base my actions and beliefs on this simple track - how to be a good person.

No comments: