Saturday, April 26, 2008

Making Friends

The Thai are generally nice people. I witnessed it first hand today.

Woke up at 7am today, which has become a routine thing thanks to my bio-clock. I tried to go back to sleep but decided that I had to shit at 10am, so I got out of bed and did so. After peeing, I couldn't go back to sleep so I started surfing the net and to my surprise, American store Best Buy was selling away their Alpha 700 at US$836! That's about the price of the A300 there! Too bad by the time I fly over to get it, they'd prolly cleared the stock away. I wonder what made them sell it at such a low price though...

Now on to the afternoon when I got hungry. I decided to make a left turn to the usual shop that sells pork soup noodles and kao man kai, which is what the locals call Hainanese Chicken Rice. When I reached the place, the guys were watching a match of Muay Thai. They were so engrossed that neither of them even realized I was watching as well! So I had a plate of Chicken Rice.

After paying for the lunch, I was deciding where to go to. I've already travelled to a lot of places, all of which were on foot since I believed that it was the best way to soak in the culture. While standing at the door of the shop, the dude came over and asked what I believed was ''where're you going?''

I just gave a shrug and he gestured to invite me to watch the matches together. Why not? So I took the glass of water and sat closer to the TV. It's funny watching that guy get agitated over the matches; once he got so into it, he kicked the table away as he shouted with each blow.

After a while, the guy went to open the fridge and poured pepsi into my empty cup! We clashed cups and downed pepsi! There was also a local snack that he offered me - it looked like mini pumpkins, lime green in colour and dipped in a sauce made from soy sauce and chilli. The snack tasted interesting, somewhat sour and leaves an occasional seed.

After a while, their buddy comes and they head to the back of the shop to smoke what I presume was weed. The guy offered me a stick but since I don't smoke, reject la. He then offered me chewing gum instead.

As I walk out of the shop saying bye, one of the dudes looked up and gave me a weed-strung look and waved his hands to say bye.

This is the kind of friendship that transcends language barriers. Well, the only thing we do is knod our heads and smile!

12 comments:

Thiang! said...

Aww. If you were to soak in the culture, you have to take the weed! Haha, kidding. It's not everyday you can do or get in Singapore you know. :D

ブルース様 said...

u can get the same feeling with shisha in singapore

Thiang! said...

Oooh.. Still haven't done seesha, not anytime soon I guess.

ブルース様 said...

lol... u shud try. get ur man bring u there la!

Thiang! said...

He's the one disallowing it! Coz' it doesn't does us any good you see..

ブルース様 said...

same goes for drinking alcohol! don't drink alcohol then

Thiang! said...

Alcohol seems to be the exception. Drank Tiger beer last week while watching soccer match at Selegie ah! Haha.

ブルース様 said...

if can drink alcohol can smoke shisha liao, go for it! wa tiger... asahi nicer lor!

Thiang! said...

unless he wants to smoke seesha with me. Haha. That place don't even have Carlsberg lor! Nehmind lah, support local brand. But very bitter!

ブルース様 said...

can get ver high one hor! depending on where u went

Thiang! said...

I didn't know seesha will get high. Until now.

ブルース様 said...

oh yes u will... it depends on place and how frequent u puff too