Monday, June 30, 2008

Homesickness

For the last 2 nights, I have been getting really wierd weird dreams. Not that I don't get wierd weird dreams but they usually get forgotten as most humans do. Strangely the dreams I've been getting were about home.

In those dreams, nothing in particular happens, it's almost like spending another day back home. I get to see my dad and mom doing their usual stuff. Did I mention these dreams are mentally draining?

The wierdestweirdest of all, was when I woke up this morning. I think I was still in a semi-dream as the last thing I remembered was my mom walking up and passing me a phone. I placed the phone near my ear and tried to make out what the guy was saying. But just as the guy started speaking the sound of a tuk tuk just muffled out the words and then I realised it was a dream. I actually spoke 'hello?' twice and at the moment my eyes were open but I was seeing my room!

I suppose these are signs telling me that I'm missing home?

It led me to think about why I'm getting these dreams at this time. When does one actually start getting affected by homesickness?

Some say that one gets homesick during the early months of being away. The idea is that during that time, you are still feeling a strong sense of attachment to your home, and being alone gets you thinking about it a lil' too much. However, I have been in Bangkok for 4 months already and if the theory is right, why am I only getting them now?

I guessed that it could be due to the face that I realised that I was a month away from being back home. It could be possible as you start to think about home knowing that soon you'll return to the comforts of a place you call home.

Serge said that it could be the time when you start to settle into the environment. He does have a point cuz I was initially walking around getting myself entertained with the sights and sounds of Bangkok.

The Verdict? You get homesick once you get bored of the new environment! Remedy for that? Constantly find yourself new crap to amuse yourself with!

I can't wait till I get home though... Yes yes, Bruce MISSING EEUS!

No comments: