Thursday, June 26, 2008

WHAT COLOUR!!!!!!?????

Warning! What you are about to read is extremely racist! If you are at all defensive of racial pride, please scroll down and read my other stuff.

I love how Singapore is multi-racial. Yes I know there are countries with multiple races, but what makes Singapore special is that it is successfully multi-racial. Picture this, calling an African American 'BLACK' in the US could probably get you killed or at least bedridden for a week. On the other hand you can call an Indian 'BLACK' and the most you'll get is a big laugh (provided you actually know the Indian, do not try this on strangers!)

Even so, we always crack racist jokes amongst each other, even with people from other races. To me it's like a way to break the tension between races and at times open opportunities to understanding, though very rare.

One thing I would like to highlight is a phenomenon that has been hailed as the unofficial Singaporean favourite teenage game. Since it has no actual name to the game, I am going to call it the 'what colour?' game. Now here comes the highly racist part. For people who do not know the existence of this game, especially the Sikh community, this is purely informational and I am not suggesting in any way that you have to participate in this game. Whatever you do is your choice! Also for those who have been veterans of the game, sorry to disclose the game to your 'targets'.

The game does not have a set timeline or duration; you simply play it all day long.
The idea is to be on high alert for a particular group of people called Sikhs. It is easy to spot them in the crowd as they're the only ones who wear turbans in most cases.
Once you see one, you will have to pinch one of your friends (I recommend not pinching anyone else as a safety precaution) and ask them the simple question of ''WHAT COLOUR???''.
The one that gets pinched will be tasked with searching for the Sikh amidst the intense pain of the thumb and finger grip and reply with the corresponding colour of the Sikh's turban. Only then would the pinching stop. False answers woul also result in stronger pinches.

I often wonder if the Sikh community actually know of the ongoing games that take place around them. Wouldn't it be easy to spot people pinching each other and the pinched yelling out the colour of your turbans? Maybe you guys have your own set of racist games? Please share them with us =)

I remember playing the game with Syafiq in the LIttle India area once. I managed to pinch him after spotting a sky blue turban far away and began chanting the question. I got an answer of black, but couldn't find one until the sikh walked by us. Good answer! Wrong turban! So I resumed pinching. Next came a yellow which I soon spotted on the other side of the road. Too bad, still no blue!

Personally, I think racism is simply caused by misunderstandings, sometimes deliberate, of other races. It is when combined with an intention to cause hate that this kind of racism should be condemned. Otherwise it is just a joke just like any other jokes. Is our society ready to take on racism with a pinch of salt? Sometimes I just feel that the world finds it easier to be racist than sexist, or any other form of prejudice.

I don't see how people can pick on something light and turn it into a death threat. My buddies (the Musibats) comprises of the Chink(me), the quarter Chink(Syafiq), the half Chink(Mubarak) and the hancing(Siswand), You don't see me swearing to kill them when they call me manjen and make fun of my small eyes right? Oh wait I do...

hancing - {han-ching} Foul Smelling.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

park you understand

Anonymous said...

FUCK U RACIST ASSHOLE. YOU CHINESE THINK YOU ALL SO SMART COME INDIA AH. YELLOW.

ブルース様 said...

Racism exists everywhere, it's a part of human nature. What matters is how you look at it. I'm pretty sure if I were to go somewhere where I am part of the minority, racism would be against me too.

BTW Manjen is tamil for yellow, you do know that right?

Anonymous said...

The only people I don't like is Muslims I think Islam should be banned world wide it's beliefs are racist in itself and on a whole bloody stupid. Sikhs on the other hand are great people they have respect for most people races and cultures I have a few Sikh friends and they will do anything for you great people the only thing I don't agree with is how the younger generations don't carry the swords (don't know the proper name for them sorry) any more and leave the responsibility on the older generations shoulders after all they wear them as warriors and believe that they are prepared for if a war breaks out and all you will have is old guys bearing arms well that's how it appears over here in England I think young Sikhs should start wearing them and with pride