Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Lets Talk... Bass to Bass

Most of you know of my favourite band - 聖飢魔II or Seikima II.
They were supposedly demons from the underworld who prophesied the end of the world being year 2000. Thus their band name Seikima II, which means the end of the century when you read it out in full (seikima two). After their final 3 night concert, the guys went off in a stairway of light which ended their conquest of earth. In reality, the members went their own ways, with His Excellency Demon Kogure doing a solo act, Luke Takamura and Raiden Yuzawa doing the group CANTA, Ace Shimizu doing his own Face to Ace act and Xenon Ishikawa joining the band RX.

My favourite member of the team would be Xenon, who's a monster with the bass. I like how he rarely uses the pick (don't remember seeing him using it except for in Jack The Ripper with the Satan All Stars). I have nothing against pick bassists, I just feel that fingered notes have a stronger sound to them. It's like when using picks they give a 'tak' kinda start to the sound rather than the 'bum' sound for the bass.

Here are some solos that are performed by Xenon, most often together with Raiden while the rest are either changing, resting or in the toilet?


I love this solo, very groovey.


Nice solo by Raiden at the beginning with a sweet melody at the end.


Crazy camera cuts make a painful eye, but great music nonetheless.

No offense to X-Japan lovers but once my friend showed me this clip of Heath doing a solo with his ''bass'', I didn't really like it... I have my reasons and I believe I am entitled to my freedom of opinion... Personally I think that a Bass should sound like a Bass. Why throw in crazy effects just to make it sound like an electric guitar? Wouldn't it make more sense to slip on another guitar instead? It's like having a man trying to sound like a woman - gay.

2 comments:

Thiang! said...

No idea what this entry is about. Whoops! I mean, it's hard to understand if not a follower.

ブルース様 said...

i understand what you mean...
*walks to a corner and play spice girls*